Website CMHA Peel Dufferin
Nurse Practitioner 2 full time positions
(Responsive Addiction Clinic- RAC)
CMHA Peel Dufferin is excited to announce a new Program that will provide critically needed services in the Central West LHIN.
Under the Strategy to Prevent Opioid Addiction and Overdose, the Central West LHIN has allocated funding to CMHA Peel Dufferin to increase services to clients requiring dedicated addictions treatment, counseling, outreach and case management in a clinical setting with Nurse Practitioners and Addiction Specialists. The Program will be called Responsive Addiction Clinic- RAC
Overview of Program
The Rapid Access Model will allow for walk in and planned appointments, thus promoting low access barriers for service. Priority group is men aged 25-50 with opioid addictions and opioid addiction/mental illness. Other opioid addiction clients will be supported and the clinic will increase capability to serve alcohol users seeking medical support.
Services will include Rapid Access Addictions Medicine (RAAM) Clinics that provide an addictions treatment pathway between emergency departments and primary care sector.
The Clinic will provide clinical oversight pharmacotherapy prescribing, counselling, case management and outreach to increase access to additional community- based services.
The multi-disciplinary team will work through the 5 sub regions of the Central West LHIN- Brampton, Bramalea, Bolton- Caledon, Dufferin & North Etobicoke/West Woodbridge/Malton;
The program can accept client’s self-referral as well as referrals from a clinician or primary care physician. An initial consultation is followed by treatment planning, counselling, medication and referrals to community programs, follow up and on-going support to the clients primary care physician.
Pay band- $100,000- $110,000 per year;
(Hourly rate – $51.28-$56.41)
Job Summary for Nurse Practitioner
The NP will lead a multi-disciplinary team which will assess, diagnose, treat and monitor clients who use substances; recognizing that 50% will likely present with co-occurring mental health and physical health issues.
Primary function of the NP is to assess and treat symptoms of substance use and facilitate connections to continuum of care to increase access to additional community based services to address social determinants of health.
- Sees clients with addictions and concurrent disorders at the clinic with or without scheduled and urgent appointments, and in the community through home visits, during regular and extended hours.
- Works within the scope of practice of the RN (EC), performs a comprehensive health or symptom directed assessment of the client and synthesizes data from multiple sources to make diagnosis.
- Ensures that standards of patient care are maintained according to the Standards of Nursing Practice, the Standards of Practice for Nurses in the Extended Class, as well as the Regulated Health Professionals Act and the Nurses’ Act.
- Spends adequate time with the client to determine the presence of existing and potential health problems, with a major focus on substances used, related lifestyle, psychological, sociocultural, and environmental risk factors which may influence the client’s health status, deals with these personally or by referral to or in consultation with, other health care providers and agencies/services
- Obtains appropriate physician consultation according to “The Expectations for Consultation with Physicians by Registered Nurses in the Extended Class” of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Works collaboratively and in consultation with the collaborating physicians and specialists as defined in the RN(EC) scope of practice.
- Determines the need for and orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures in accordance with an approved list or in conclusion with a physician where necessary; interprets the results of screening and diagnostic laboratory tests, within the scope of practice.
- Prescribes drugs included in the Schedules of the Regulations to treat diseases or disorders within the RN(EC) scope of practice.
- Provides advanced nursing care and treatment (including pharmacological complementary therapies and/or counselling interventions for health problem).
- Monitors the ongoing therapy of clients with addictions, chronic mental and physical illness by providing effective pharmacological, complementary, or counselling interventions.
- Uses community assessment data to identify community needs and resources and develops, implements and evaluates appropriate programming.
- Maintain accurate and timely records. Write reports, support letters, and chart summaries for transfer and/or legal purposes, as well as other related patient and workload measurement documents, as required.
- Build capacity among primary care to transition clients for ongoing monitoring and treatment.
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping /documentation and client files, statistical and outcome measurement tools as required by CMHA Policies and Procedures.
- Participate on agency and community committees and working groups as requested by Manager.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with other programs and services, internal and external to CMHA Peel Dufferin.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, as well as being a Registered Nurse Practitioner (RNEC) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Minimum 2 yrs. of experience in Mental Health and/or Addictions in a community setting.
- Psychiatric Nursing Certification is an asset.
- Completed College Approved Controlled Substances Education Program.
- Knowledge of (and adherence to) standards of professional nursing practice and patient care practice in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse Practitioner (RNEC).
- Knowledge and experience with people experiencing problematic substance misuse as well as illnesses and problems related to such misuse.
- Experience with or knowledge of dual diagnosis & concurrent disorders is an asset.
- Current CPR- Level C & AED certification.
- Sound knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, and other related legislation in Ontario
- Sound knowledge of psychotropic medications including usage and potential side effects
- Advanced knowledge of pharmacology in selecting, prescribing, monitoring and dispensing drugs
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships clients, community, partners and present the agency in a professional manner at all times.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills and ability to formally present information to individuals or groups.
- Knowledge of French or any other second language reflecting the diversity of the CW-LHIN is an asset.
- Ability to develop and deliver services that are sensitive to cultural diversity and are LGBQT positive.
- Ability to resolve complex client problems in order to ensure a high standard of nursing service.
- Flexibility to adapt to change and ability to work independently when necessary.
- Ability to minimize risks adhering to established policies and procedures.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license, relevant vehicle insurance and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook), Client Record Data systems, internet.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check) report.
- Ability to work some evening shifts on a weekly basis.
CMHA/Peel provides a supportive work environment with a competitive salary, generous training opportunities, excellent benefits and an emphasis on work-life balance. For a list of our Total Rewards, please visit the Careers page on our website. www.cmhapeeldufferin.ca
Qualified applicants may send their resume and cover letter in one document to Human Resources via: https://cmhapeel.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=23
Deadline for applications: November 17, 2017
CMHA/Peel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA/Peel will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://cmhapeel.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=23 →