Examination Preparation and Review: Course Instructors
|Company Name||CARE - Centre For Internationally Educated Nurses|
|Location||Toronto, Hamilton, Canada|
|Date Posted||Dec 03, 2012|
|Category||Other Careers In Health Care|
Supporting Nurses Back into Practice
Examination Preparation and Review: Course Instructors
(Toronto, Hamilton, London, Peel Region)
CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) is a bridge training program funded by the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada assisting IENs in achieving their registered nurse or registered practical nurse license to practice in Ontario. Through specialized case management, CARE Centre co-ordinates and delivers flexible supports and programs such as nursing-readiness assessments, multi-level language and communication courses for nurses, observational job shadowing and exam preparation and review.
Instructors are needed to teach CARE Centre’s Examination Preparation and Review course in Toronto, Hamilton, London, and Peel Region (based out of our Brampton office). Some of the courses are offered via videoconferencing through the Ontario Tele-medicine Network (OTN).
We are looking for creative individuals who are able to work closely, flexibly and energetically with a small staff in a principled and pragmatic way toward the achievement of CARE Centre’s mission and goals.
The Examination Preparation and Review course is one of the key supports CARE Centre offers its members to prepare for the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam and the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam. The Exam Preparation course is 10 full days of study (including a mock examination and feedback day) and while schedules may vary by location, classes are typically held one day per week for increased individual learning between classes. The course provides students with strategies for studying nursing curriculum, offers a comprehensive review of nursing practice in Canada, and highlights techniques for writing multiple choice and short answer-based questions.
Reporting to the Regional Manager – Central East, this position is responsible for delivery of the CARE Centre Examination Preparation and Review course supporting IENs attempting to pass the non-exemptible entry-to-practice national registration examination, one of the requirements to obtain registration to practice nursing in Ontario. This will involve working collaboratively with CARE Centre staff and specifically the case managers in various locations.
Key responsibilities include the following:
• Teach CARE Centre’s Examination Preparation and Review course content on a contractual basis. This may involve delivering the course through videoconferencing during evening hours or weekends. Number of instruction hours to be determined.
• Respond to and adapt approach to reinforce the CRNE/CPRNE blueprint, nursing theory and trends in nursing practice in Canada.
• Assist course participants in establishing a study plan to unpack the entry to practice competencies and master the specifics of exam readiness.
• Facilitate a success-focused approach, lessening the anxiety of course participants as they practice test questions and apply test strategies for the nursing examinations.
• Provide support to participants as they prepare to write the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam (CRNE) or Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE).
• Work with the CARE Centre team to ensure ongoing relevance, efficacy and innovation are reflected in the course and instructional materials.
• Provide relevant feedback to IENs regarding course test results, mock exam analysis and readiness to write the registration exams in collaboration with the case manager.
• Adjust curriculum delivery as circumstances may require to accommodate learners.
• Maintain security of modular tests and mock examinations and instructional materials.
• Administer the end-of-course evaluation form to participants in the course.
• Provide suggestions for improvement in future course offerings.
• Current Registered Nurse registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Masters in Nursing (MScN) or equivalent program (consideration will be given to candidates in the final year of completion)
• Minimum 3 years of teaching along with Canadian nursing experience
• Experience in teaching exam preparation, application and critical thinking strategies
• Experience and knowledge working with second language learners and the language/inter-cultural challenges faced by internationally educated professionals
• Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving, interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member and to work flexibly within a dynamic and highly evolving environment
• Demonstrated teaching and performance feedback approaches that are appropriate for a diverse, multicultural group of learners and support their professional development
• Intercultural communication training is an asset
• Experience with the delivery of online/videoconferencing education is an asset
Full-time or Part-time: Casual, Contract basis
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience.
Please send a resume with cover letter by December 14, 2012 to:
CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
45 Sheppard Ave East, Suite 512
Toronto, ON M2N 5W9
Attention: Hiring Committee or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses is committed to diversity in the workplace.