The outbreak of COVID-19 has put a spotlight on the importance of cleanliness. It has also resulted in much-deserved recognition and respect for the people who work to keep spaces like healthcare facilities clean and hygienic.
For these professionals to maintain the desired level of clean, they need the right tools, including equipment that will enable them to clean efficiently, effectively, and safely. That’s why more institutions, from hospitals to high schools, are welcoming autonomous scrubber dryers into their cleaning fleet.
Benefits of autonomous solutions for coronavirus-related cleaning
Right now, cleaning is more important than ever, especially in areas where COVID-19 may be present. There are a multitude of tasks to complete, and the people who do those tasks must be kept safe while they work.
In such environments, the main benefits of autonomous solutions are threefold:
- Efficiency: In many buildings, floorcare is a major undertaking. Even for a skilled operator using a ride-on scrubber dryer, the job can take several hours – hours that could be spent on more detail-oriented objectives. But an autonomous machine gives staff the ability to focus on other tasks that benefit from extra effort. Now, instead of cleaning the floor, that same operator can spend those hours cleaning and disinfecting door handles, light switches, restroom fixtures, and other high-contact surfaces
- Effectiveness. By following staff-programmed paths without deviation, autonomous floorcare solutions can regularly deliver between 98% and 99.5% coverage. Our research shows that when operators use standard floorcare equipment, they typically miss about 15% of a space without meaning to. Given current public-health concerns, every floor should be cleaned from corner to corner – a goal more easily achieved with autonomous equipment.
- Worker safety. Autonomous solutions significantly reduce, and may even eliminate, the amount of time staff members spend in areas where germs may be present. Once a route is programmed into a machine, the machine will clean that same route every time, with no human intervention required. When the cleaning route is completed, or the machine needs assistance, it will notify the operator via SMS alerts.
Header: Best practices for using an autonomous scrubber dryer to prevent the spread of infection
Follow these best practices to ensure efficient, effective, and safe cleaning with an autonomous machine.
- Clean floors frequently. Adjust your cleaning schedule to reflect heightened hygienic requirements. This may include scrubbing high-traffic areas more often than usual.
- Use approved chemicals. You should always follow the guidelines provided by your local authorities, and make sure that the detergent you use is approved for scrubber dryers. For more information, visit the COVID-19 sections of these websites: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, ISSA.
Clean the machine and all consumables after use. Once the machine has finished its work, clean all parts of the equipment — including squeegees, pads, and brushes — and let them dry thoroughly. Be sure to leave the recovery-tank lid open.
- Adhere to safe practices when programming and/or cleaning the machine. Follow the recommended protocols for personal protection issued by your national, regional, state, and/or local public-health authorities (e.g., wearing masks and gloves, washing hands frequently, avoiding touching one’s own face, etc).
Nilfisk is here to support cleaning teams that work tirelessly to fight the spread of COVID-19. The Liberty SC50 Autonomous Scrubber is the only third-party certified autonomous scrubber in the world. If you have any questions about autonomous solutions or cleaning during this time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org