Build your successful and rewarding career with us
POSITION TITLE: Lead, Safety
Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is owned and governed entirely by its subscribers and their services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, they are a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and they remain as nimble and proactive today as when they were founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
Reporting to the Director, Healthcare Safety & Risk Management, the primary responsibility of the Lead, Safety is to oversee the day to day operations of the department’s safety team and to ensure that its activities align with the business objectives of the Healthcare Safety & Risk Management department.
Lead direct reports and daily safety team operations
• Lead safety team direct reports and manage safety team daily operations (e.g. manage team workload; implement strategic priorities/objectives; contribute to department planning, priority setting and staff development; conduct staff performance reviews within safety team)
• Provide supervision, coaching and mentoring for staff, staff engagement and promote a positive department culture
• Participate in ongoing educational opportunities to remain current on patient safety/risk management issues in the field of healthcare and insurance
• Participate in/lead ad hoc HIROC projects, initiatives and committees
• Act as the Director of Healthcare Safety and Risk Management in their absence
• Other duties as required
Lead subscriber experience and stewardship
• Support subscriber stewardship (e.g. attend partnership meetings, build safety capacity, support the application/spread of best practices)
• Enhance subscriber experience by applying safety science methodology (e.g. human factors principles, behavioural insights, design/systems thinking, etc. ) for processes, procedures, safety intelligence, education, and resource development
• Implement quantitative and qualitative methods to understand subscriber needs
• Support the development/improvement of patient safety indicators and other analytics
Lead safety investigation and system resilience
• Apply safety science to investigate major losses
• Identify systemic areas of interest for major losses and build safety capacity with subscribers
• Identify and share learning and support safety collaborations (e.g. human factors networks, academic communities, etc.)
Conduct research and academic activity
• Create new safety knowledge and contribute to academic activities (e.g. peer reviewed papers, posters, presentations, etc.)
• Supervise students
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Strong staff development, coaching and leadership skills
• Strong computer skills in a Windows environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Over 5 years of relevant work experience
• University degree at the bachelor level in engineering, science, or business
• Preferred Masters completed or in-progress in engineering, science, or business
• Preferred education in human factors engineering
• Preferred certification in patient safety (e.g. Canadian Patient Safety Officer)
TO APPLY: Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com
In order be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person’s dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@hiroc.com