Build your successful and rewarding career with us
POSITION: Senior Healthcare Risk Management Specialist (Clinical Specialist)
Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted risk and safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its subscribers and its services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when it was founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of focused attention to customer service and unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
Reporting to the Lead, Clinical Risk, the primary responsibility of the Healthcare Risk Management Specialist is to support subscribers with risk management and patient safety subject matter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support subscriber experience and stewardship
• Support subscriber stewardship (e.g. attend meetings with subscribers, build safety capacity, provide risk/safety education, support the application/spread of best practices)
• Enhance subscriber experience by applying safety science methodologies (e.g. patient safety, quality improvement, behavioural insights, design/systems thinking, etc.) for processes, procedures, safety intelligence, education, and resource development
• Implement quantitative and qualitative methods to understand subscriber needs, system gaps, and incident investigation findings
• Respond to subscribers and support with respect to subscriber queries, tools, customized claims analysis, trends analysis, meeting preparations, and attendance.
Support safety investigation and system resilience
• Apply safety science to investigate major losses, and incidents
• Identify systemic areas of interest from major losses and build safety capacity with subscribers
• Identify and share learnings, and support safety collaborations (clinical, safety/risk and human factors networks, academic communities, etc.)
• Review and analyze healthcare legal claims data to support HIROC’s safety and risk initiatives
• Conduct focused reviews to provide subscribers (individually and collectively) and HIROC with actionable themes, trends, etc.
• Report potential new risk/safety themes and opportunities from claims analysis
General Safety and Risk Management Functions
• Contribute to the departments and team planning
• Participate in ongoing educational opportunities to remain current on your field of expertise (e.g. clinical, safety and risk management issues in the field of health care, human factors, and insurance)
• Act as a resource to other departments and HIROC staff, and provide mentorship as required.
• Respond to issues relating to risk management and patient safety matters (consulting with Claims, Insurance Operations, Senior Management, and Legal where required)
• Participate in or lead ad-hoc departmental and HIROC projects, initiatives, and committees
• Contribute to development and revision of risk management tools and services: based on extensive research of current legislation, professional and/or governing organizations, medical journals and internet risk management resources, claims data, and best practices
• Support the development/improvement of patient safety indicators and other analytics
• Other duties as required
Conduct research and academic activity
• Participate in the creation of new safety knowledge and contribute to academic activities (e.g. peer reviewed papers, posters, presentations, etc.)
• Participate in the supervision of students
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED:
• Well organized, good time management skills and able to meet deadlines
• Self-motivation and initiative
• Excellent written, verbal and listening skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of tools
• Well developed analytical skills
• Public speaking skills
• Knowledge of adult education principles
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member
• Committed to ongoing learning
• Minimum university degree at the bachelor level in science or nursing
• Advanced clinical acumen in speciality areas – maternal/neonate, emergency medicine, and/or intensive care.
• Minimum five years of recent healthcare related experience.
• Member of a regulated health profession.
• Post-graduate degree/masters or extensive experience in expertise domain
• Advanced clinical acumen in speciality areas e.g. obstetrics/perinatal, emergency medicine and/or intensive care
• Certification in quality/patient safety (e.g. Canadian Patient Safety Officer)
• Experience with grant applications, ethics/REB/IRB, and literature reviews
HOURS OF WORK:
May be required to attend after-hours functions/meetings.
Normal working conditions in an office setting. Working at computer for most of the day.
Some travel required—subscriber visits, presentations, conferences and courses.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person’s dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com