Sunnybrook’s Odette Cancer Centre Breast Care Group provides a comprehensive and dedicated ‘one-stop’ care program for women to receive total breast care from breast problems to more specialization in the area of breast cancer. The program focuses on the full spectrum of care including breast cancer prevention to reduce risk, breast diagnostics to improve detection, multidisciplinary treatment, and supportive care including psychosocial counseling and pain management.
The Breast Care program at Sunnybrook offers care to over 2,500 women a year who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer, and accommodates approximately 20,000 patient visits every year related to breast care.
Breast care services are offered through specialty clinics and services to include:
• Breast Diagnostic program – for timely breast examination and screening for individuals with breast concerns or those at risk for breast cancer
• Preventive/Genetics/High Risk program – provides genetic counselling for women at high risk for breast cancer
In addition to regular breast care, Sunnybrook’s Odette Cancer Centre Breast Care program offers specialized clinics in the area of breast cancer:
• LABC (locally advanced breast cancer) program – provides focused care, support and innovative treatments for women with locally advanced disease, and offers a unique opportunity to participate in studies in diagnosis, imaging, treatment, psychosocial support and survivorship.
• Breast Brachytherapy program – delivers a revolutionary technique of post-operative radiation treatment in a one hour procedure on a targeted area of the breast.
• Lymphedema program – offers focused support to manage and prevent lymphedema (chronic swelling of the arm), together with therapists in the community.
• PYNK clinic – provides treatment, support and participation in targeted research to help meet the unique medical and psychosocial needs of women 40 years or younger diagnosed with breast cancer.
“We are also extremely active in leading breast cancer research that provides more tailored treatment to the individual to help improve quality of life,” says Dr. Eileen Rakovitch, Chair, Breast Care Program, Sunnybrook‘s Odette Cancer Centre. “For example, we are conducting research into innovative and more effective radiation treatments with reduced treatment time, more minimally-invasive, image-guided breast conserving surgery, novel drug therapies more tailored to the individual, and research into imaging technologies for more accurate and early detection, and also for rapid tracking of individual treatment response.”
Future Breast Cancer Research Centre at Sunnybrook
Sunnybrook is building a new Breast Cancer Research Centre to help thousands of women with breast cancer and those at risk of developing the disease. To be located in the newly expanded M-Wing at Sunnybrook’s Bayview campus, this world-class Breast Centre will provide:
• leading technology in breast imaging (to improve the early detection of breast cancer)
• expanded clinical space to improve breast cancer care
• expanded breast cancer research
The Centre will also house a Rapid Diagnostic Assessment Unit for women with suspected disease and will provide expanded resources to screen women. “We are very fortunate to have a team of dedicated physicians and scientists who are international leaders in the full spectrum of breast cancer research including breast cancer prevention, early detection, clinical trials and psychosocial research to find better treatments that improve the survival and quality of life of women with breast cancer,” says Dr. Rakovitch, Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto.
For more information, please visit http://breast.sunnybrook.ca